Mga Pahina

Sabado, Agosto 11, 2012

Bacolod Behind the MassKara I The Ruins and El Ideal Bakery



Bacolod is known for its much celebrated “MassKara Festival” happening annually during the month of October.

It is one of the most anticipated festive events in the country. MassKara came from two words; “Mass” which means “many” and “Kara” which is the Spanish translation of “face”.

MassKara Festival started in the 1980s. It rose during the period of economic depression and tragedy. It was when the prices of sugar were as its lowest, and it was also the time when Don Juan, a passenger vessel sank, losing the lives of 700 Negrenses.

For Bacolones, this festival of smiles, is a celebration of gratitude for the abundance that life has brought them and a declaration that they can get through anything, no matter how hard the situation can be.

But this doesn’t mean that there is nothing more the province can offer on other months of the year. In fact, being the progressive province that it is, Bacolod is a home for food lovers, history enthusiasts and beach bums.

True enough to its brand as the City of Smiles, Bacolod did not fail to put a sweet curve on my face during my recent 3-day stay.

Day 1

2:45       ETD Domestic Airport

The day of my flight fell on a Friday. My travel companions were already in Bacolod since Monday, attending the Philippine Veterinary Medical Association, an annual seminar for veterinarians, of which I had no business, I am a no-vet, thus leaving me with no other option than to fly solo. This would be my first time to travel on air alone. I must admit this scared me a little bit, but I was more thrilled with the thought of being alone, going to places I want to go, deciding on the things I want to do, the food I want to eat, the time I want to leave, experience the totality of it for at least one afternoon, while my friends were still inside L’Fishers Hotel’s function rooms listening to well known speakers like Francis Kong.

No offense meant to my travel buddies, they were a great a company, but I’ve been daring myself on travelling alone, and somehow this experience gave me a taste of it.


3:45       ETA Silay Airport

It took just an hour to reach Silay airport. The terminal was big and beautiful, giving a feel on what to expect of the region.

There were vans outside the airport offering direct ride to Bacolod. But I didn’t want to go there just yet. I made an exit on the main gates of terminal, walked towards the row of tricycle and asked for El Ideal Bakery.

4:15       El Ideal Bakery

Tricycle fare from airport to El Ideal is Php 100, that is if you are to ride alone, but if you are patient to wait for some commuters, like what I did, you could have it for Php 20.

And in less than 5 minutes, I was in the oldest bakery of Negros. 


El Ideal doesn’t have the feel of a grand restaurant, it’s just simple dining place located along Rizal Street in Silay. Built in the 1920s by Cesar Lacson Locsin, and serving their first recipes up to this day,  El Ideal has been more than a bakery, it is an institution, a cultural heritage in itself.

To spare me from much thinking and not to feel sorry about the wrong choice I could make after, I asked the waiter what’s the specialty of the house is. And yes, it is La Paz Batchoy.



The sight of the hot La Paz Batchoy got me more excited, as it was served on my table. El Ideal offers a big serving with load of “sahog”, making it hard for me to finish the whole bowl.

Running for almost a century now, El Ideal has sustained its reputation on serving sumptuous yet affordable food, classic Ilonggo cookies, accommodating servers and well-maintained restaurant. Still it is one of the favorite dining places among the locals and tourists alike.



              
5:00       The Ruins




After spending some minutes in El Ideal, I took a jeep going to Pepsi Bottling Company, as advised by a local. I was planning to see the beauty of The Ruins, considered as the Taj Mahal of Negros.

It was a-15-peso-15-minute ride to Pepsi, from there, across the street, was a tricycle terminal. They charged Php 30 fare to the Ruins.

From the busy commercial area, to a residential subdivision, down to a vast sugar plantation in Talisay city rests the fascinating historical structure known as The Ruins.

I was captivated by the beauty before me. It took my breath away. Seeing The Ruins in all its splendor brought me to a different dimension.



The Ruins was the largest structure ever built in Negros on that time. It is said that, “The structure of The Ruins is of Italianate architecture with neo-Romanesque columns”.  It was built in the 1900s by Don Mariano Ledesma Lacson, a sugar baron, in memory of his beloved first wife, Dona Maria Braga, a Portuguese from Macau.



Every column of the mansion had the initials of Don Mariano and Don Maria.



So as not to be used as the headquarters by the Japanese during the World War II, the mansion was burned down by the United Stated Armed Forces in the Far East (USAFFE) and Filipino guerillas.

It was 2008 when this architectural structure was opened to the public, and for more than 100 years after it was built, The Ruins stands elegant and proud, a timeless beauty.




There was an entrance fee of Php 60. It is open daily from 8am to 8pm. There’s also a café, store and a mini golf course. The place can also be rented for special occasions like weddings.




              
8:00       Checked in at Pension house

I did not notice right away the text messages and incoming calls from my friend due to my fascination over The Ruins. It was already dark when I left the complex taking a trike (Php30) and a jeepney (Php7) going to L’ Fisher Hotel where the PVMA convention was being held. I just met with my friends for a while then headed to a pension house.

There are lots of cheap accommodations in Bacolod. Good thing about the place I stayed in is that they have a 12-hour rate, which was ideal for me that time, since we were planning to start our next day at 4 am.
                             

9:00       Dinner at BLC Chicken Inasal

After checking in, I just put my baggage down, took a taxi, and went ahead to my client’s restaurant, BLC Chicken Inasal. Yes, what a small world right. I have a client in Bacolod, and she’s a client owning a restaurant in Bacolod with 3 branches.

What could be better than to end the day with a live band, a good chat with a client and a delectable chicken inasal for free.

And by the way, when Ilonggos say their Inasal is by far different, believe them.



THE RUINS
Contact No. 0917-832-6003

EL IDEAL BAKERY
118 Rizal Street
Silay City, Negros Occidental
Contact No. (6334) 495 4430

L’FISHERS HOTEL
14th Lacson St., Bacolod City
Negros Occidental
Contact No. +6334-4333731-39 

CIRCLE INN
Lopez Jaena – Malaspina Streets, Capitol Shopping Center Bacolod City
Contact Nos. +63-34-709-9111 / +63-34-709-9009
+63-917-445-9972

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento